Iranian surgeons have good capacities in the treatment of neurological diseases and have achieved significant improvements in this field. Regarding the advances in medical science, in addition to treatment of hydrocephaly, patients with brain tumors are also treated with these methods in Iran. For 23 years, Iran has been comprising modern neuro-endoscopic and endoscopic methods for the brain and spinal cord, and existing equipment is comparable to other countries. Iranian surgeons’ capacity is very high in the field of neurology. Iranian experts are among the best in the world.
Now the progress of Iranian neurologists has come with the help of researchers’ activities where foreign countries want Iranians to have scientific interactions by providing conditions for their entry into Iran. There are currently about 700 neurosurgeons in Iran. Despite the sanctions, significant progress has been made in this field, and Iran will become the world’s main center of brain surgeries.
The world’s largest neurosurgical hospital has been established in Tehran in the year ended in March 2017.The hospital is three times bigger than International Neuroscience Institute in Hannover of Germany, which is considered now as the largest hospital in the world for neuroscience purposes.
Iran ranks 23rd globally in molecular and cellular neuroscience, behavioral neuroscience, and neurology. Based on the report published by Scopus, the largest abstract and citation database for academic journal articles, Iran ranks 17th in behavioral neuroscience, 18th in neurology, and 20th in molecular and cellular neuroscience. Iran’s ranking worldwide comes before countries such as Turkey and South Korea. It is also placed third in Asia after Japan and China.
Neurosurgery is a surgical subspecialty, which can treat neurological disorders or may help to prevent the continuation of the damage performing surgery on the nervous system.
Utilizing experienced neurology specialists and advanced diagnostic devices such as Electroencephalography (EEG), Electromyography (EMG), cerebral angiography, Doppler sonography of carotid and vertebral arteries; neurology centers of Iranian hospitals provide diagnosis and treatment services for brain and nervous system diseases. The following services are also offered in these centers in Iran.
- Treatment and care of diseases associated with brain perfusion, including: stroke, transient ischemic attack, hemorrhage
- Treatment and care of degenerative brain diseases (MS, ALS, Alzheimer and Parkinson).
- Treatment and care of all types of seizures
- Providing electroencephalography (EEG) and electromyography (EMG).
- Treatment and care of myasthenia gravis
- Neurosurgery services at bleeding events such as ruptured aneurysm and brain tumors
- Treatment and care of infectious diseases of the brain such as meningitis and encephalitis
- Treatment and care of mental disorders in collaboration with psychiatrists
- Rehabilitation services.